Thoughts from the intro in my study bible:
These are Paul’s last known words. He is “passing the torch” to Timothy. “He sought to prepare Timothy for the day when the message of God would depend on him and other reliable workers.”
“How to read 2 Timothy: Look for glimpses into Paul’s loneliness and suffering. The apostle tells where he turned for strength when he faced personal trials. In addition, 2 Timothy gives much valuable counsel to those of us who, like Timothy, have inherited the task of representing Christ on earth. Imagine receiving one last personal letter from your great mentor. What final words of advice does he give?”
Thoughts that stand out to me
- Paul longs to see Timothy, which would give him joy (v4).
- Timothy has “sincere faith,” and because of that is encouraged to “fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands” (v5-6). There’s power in the relationship.
- We weren’t given “a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline” (v7). I like that those words are grouped together. I preached a sermon on this HERE.
- Says he was appointed to this calling, which is why he endures suffering (v11-12).
- Everyone has deserted him (v15).